In September of 1870, G.W. Barter of the firm Hamilton & Barter, which were publishing the "Daily Star", retired from his post there and started his own paper, the "Anaheim Gazette." He bought the old press from the "Star" which had originally came from the "Wilmington Journal" as well....this press was ancient but worked and got the paper going. Sadly, in 1877, the original building for the "Gazette" burned down and with it went it's old press.
ANAHEIM HIGH SCHOOL
The first Anaheim High School, Circa 1901. Quoted from the Anaheim Public Library archives, it states: "Anaheim High School, built in 1901, the first high school built in Anaheim district and third in Orange County; located at 608 W. Center Street (later Lincoln Ave.); sold to the elementary school district in 1911; demolished 1937 and became site of Fremont Junior High School, which closed in 1979 and was demolished in 1980."
CLASS OF 1902- ANAHEIM HIGH
Here is a historic photo of the graduating class of Anaheim High School, 1902! (top row from left to right: Arthur G. Baker, Carl Zeus; Bottom left to right: Olga Boege and Ruth Enearl.)--
THE COMMERCIAL HOTEL
The Commercial Hotel, located at 182 West Center Street (now Lincoln Avenue) at the corner of Lemon Street. It was originally known as the Anaheim Hotel, built by Henry Kroeger (2nd Mayor of Anaheim). When Max Nebelung purchased the hotel in the late 1890s, he changed the name to the Commercial Hotel. (Photo Circa 1915; APL Archives)
(Copyright 2014- J'aime Rubio)
All photos came from Anaheim Public Library Archives.